Mark Woodward wrote:

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 11:59:27AM +0200, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Mark,
I don't know how it will exactly works in postgres but my expectations
are:

Mark Woodward wrote:
Is there a difference in PostgreSQL performance between these two
different strategies:

if(!exec("update foo set bar='blahblah' where name = 'xx'"))
  exec("insert into foo(name, bar) values('xx','blahblah'");
or
The update code generates new tuple in the datafile and pointer has been
changed in the indexfile to the new version of tuple. This action does
not generate B-Tree structure changes. If update falls than insert
command creates new tuple in the datafile and it adds new item into
B-Tree. It should be generate B-Tree node split.
Actually, not true. Both versions will generate a row row and create a
new index tuple. The only difference may be that in the update case the
may be a ctid link from the old version to the new one, but that's
about it...

Which is faster will probably depends on what is more common in your DB:
row already exists or not. If you know that 99% of the time the row
will exist, the update will probably be faster because you'll only
execute one query 99% of the time.

OK, but the point of the question is that constantly updating a single row
steadily degrades performance, would delete/insery also do the same?

If that was the point of the question, you should have said so.

And unless I am much mistaken the answer is "of course it will."

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster