Tom,

What about licensing issues?  Does PL/Java work with any entirely-open-source
JVMs?  If not, what is the legal situation for distributing PG+PL/Java?

Actually, Sun has re-licensed the JRE to make it OSS-compatible (it's now available for Debian, for example) They're doing a Java licensing session at OSCON if you have any specific questions, or I can ping the Java Licensing Guru directly. But even if other JRE's aren't supported, licensing shouldn't be an obstacle.

I'm also a bit concerned about size.  By my count, lines of source code:

plpgsql         19890
plperl          4902
plpython        4163
pltcl           4498
pljava 1.3.0    38711

IOW pljava is (already) bigger than the other four PLs put together.

That is odd.  Thomas?

I'm inclined to think that pljava is best off staying as a separate
project.

I disagree. One of the things I'm asked by every single tech market analyst, after replication & clustering, is whether we have support for procedural Java. So it's something large-scale users want. If PL/Tcl belongs in the back end, then so does PL/Java.

--Josh Berkus

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend