On 7/13/06, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, the correct way to say that is "if major components were included in
the readily-available distributions of Postgres" then newbies would find
it easier to find them.

OK, I agree.  Damn semantics :)

That doesn't lead to concluding that we should redefine "core"
as "everything that's popular".

Alright, but I believe we should at least work together when planning
a release to make a set recommendation to packagers.

These days I don't believe that many newbies download and
compile the core PG source distribution

Totally agreed.  I have been meaning that our packages (non-src)
should have common tools with them.

For those who are actually downloading stuff directly from
http://www.postgresql.org/download/, that page already does list most
of the add-ons that have been mentioned in this thread.
Perhaps we need to adjust the wording to make it clearer ...

Yes, that would probably help some.

One really trivial change is that the second sentence says "full
package" where it ought to say "core package" --- we should consistently
reinforce the idea that you're getting a database core, not everything
that you might want to go with it.

Agreed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301