from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/blob.html

You can change the message buffer size by changing the value of the max_allowed_packet variable, but you must do so for both the server and your client program. For example, both mysql and mysqldump allow you to change the client-side max_allowed_packet value.

Tom Lane wrote:
If the use case is people running MySQL dumps, then there will be millions of values-targetlists in MySQL dumps.

I did some experimentation just now, and could not get mysql to accept a
command longer than about 1 million bytes. It complains about Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
which seems a bit odd because max_allowed_packet is allegedly set to
16 million, but anyway I don't think people are going to be loading any
million-row tables using single INSERT commands in mysql either.

              http://archives.postgresql.org