Bort, Paul wrote:
Given the concerns about running this on machines that don't have a lot
of CPU and disk to spare, should it ship disabled?

Yes, certainly.

Andrew, what do you think of pgbench reports shipping separately? I have
no idea how the server end is set up, so I don't know how much of a pain
that would be.

Well, we'll need to put in some changes to collect the data, certainly. I don't see why we shouldn't ship the pgbench result separately, but ...

P.S. My current thought for settings is scaling factor 10, users 5,
transactions 1000.

... at this size it's hardly worth it. A quick test on my laptop showed this taking about a minute for the setup and another minute for the run, Unless we scale way beyond this I don't see any point in separate reporting.

cheers

andrew