Tom Lane wrote:
What I'm inclined to do for 8.2 is to disallow OLD/NEW references in
multi-element VALUES clauses; the feature is still tremendously useful
without that.

Given the timing, this sounds like a reasonable approach. I agree that the feature has lots of interesting uses -- I'd hate to see us lose that. Disallowing OLD/NEW references doesn't contradict the spec in any way AFAIK either.

Joe