Since I have a stuck backend without client again, I'll have to kill -SIGTERM a
backend. Fortunately, I do
have console access to that machine and it's not win32 but a decent OS. For
other cases I'd really really really
appreciate if that function would make it into 8.2.

utils/adt/misc.c says:

#*ifdef* NOT_USED

//* Disabled in 8.0 due to reliability concerns; FIXME someday *//
Datum
*pg_terminate_backend*(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)

Well, AFAIR there were no more issues raised about code paths that don't clean
up correctly, so can we please
remove that comment and make the function live finally?

Regards,
Andreas