Josh Berkus wrote:
Bruce,

What happens now is that someone says they want to work on X, and the
community tells them that Y might be working on it, and Y gives us a
status.

What happens now is:

A starts working on X.
3 months pass
B comes to hackers, spends hours reading the archives, doesn't find X (because they know it by a different name), comes to -hackers and asks "Is anyone working on X?"
B waits for 2 weeks without an answer and repeats the question.
Hackers E, F and G reply "yes, someone is but I don't remember who, search the archives for keyword X"

I would bet, right about here we loose a whole lot of would be contributors.

Just the the questions I had about two todos this year was enough basically give up on doing any work on them.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster