stark wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre ( at ) commandprompt ( dot ) com> writes:
Maybe we could write a suitable test case using Martijn's concurrent
testing framework.
The trick is to get process A to commit between the times that process B
looks at the new and old versions of the pg_class row (and it has to
happen to do so in that order ... although that's not a bad bet given
the way btree handles equal keys).

I think the reason we've not tracked this down before is that that's a
pretty small window.  You could force the problem by stopping process B
with a debugger breakpoint and then letting A do its thing, but short of
something like that you'll never reproduce it with high probability.

Actually I was already looking into a related issue and have some work here
that may help with this.

I wanted to test the online index build and to do that I figured you needed to
have regression tests like the ones we have now except with multiple database
sessions. So I hacked psql to issue queries asynchronously and allow multiple
database connections. That way you can switch connections while a blocked or
slow transaction is still running and issue queries in other transactions.

I thought it was a proof-of-concept kludge but actually it's worked out quite
well. There were a few conceptual gotchas but I think I have a reasonable
solution for each.

[snip]

Can you please put the patch up somewhere so people can see what's involved?

thanks

cheers

andrew