Jim C. Nasby wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:21:50AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
We also decided to turn off the init script execution entirely. The DBAs were more comfortable with a manual database startup for a production machine anyway (this is the way they typically handle Oracle databases also). They get paged if the server ever goes down unplanned, and in that event they like to check things out before bringing the db back up. For planned outages, database startup is simply part of the plan.

I'd *really* like to have an official way to just disable the initdb
code entirely.

I am not exactly sure why we initdb at all. IMHO it would be better if the start script just checked if there was a cluster. If not, it wouldn't start, it would error with: You do not have a cluster, please read man page on initdb.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/