Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 05:58 schrieb Tom Lane:
A couple of recently discussed FE/BE protocol issues are: not storing a
plan at all for unnamed-statement cases, and thus allowing bind
parameters to be treated as constants; allowing parameter types to go
unresolved rather than throwing an error.  Perhaps it's too late to
consider these for 8.2, but they seem no more invasive than some other
items on the open-issues list.

Do we have a patch for that today?

We could have a patch for the first one today --- I was thinking about
it last night and intending to code it today.  The second one is merely
a matter of removing an error check that exists now; the question really
is do people want that behavior.  (I asked that on the jdbc list and got
zero response, so actually I was thinking that it was a dead issue; but
as long as it's on the open-items list we ought to discuss it.)

I personally think it's a good idea to do it, as it should improve the plans for one-shot queries. Unfortunately I don't certainly know how the JDBC driver issues queries when called through a PreparedStatement but without a "prepare-threshold"[*] set. If it uses the unnamed-statement, then I guess the proposed change would be a win.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold

[*] This option determines, after how many executes of a prepared statement, the driver will switch to server-side prepares.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq