On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:03 AM, Gregory Stark wrote:

Theo Schlossnagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

But the interesting thing is that there were 4.6 million elements in the s->childXids list. Which is why it took so damn long. I can't quite figure
out how I induced this state.  It is an OLAP server with  about 10-20
connection that run "long" queries (from 5 seconds to 24  hours).

Wow, I think that means you've had 4.6 million subtransactions within the
current transaction. Is this a PL/PgSQL function or a script that uses
SAVEPOINT a lot?

We don't use savepoint's too much. Maybe one or two across out 1k or so pl/pgsql procs.

We use dbi-link which is plperl. Perhaps that is somehow creating subtransactions?

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/

      match