Gregory Stark wrote:

<snip>

Case 2) Solving this is quite difficult without introducing major performance
   problems or security holes. The one approach we have that's practical right
   now is introducing special data types such as the oft-mentioned "char" data
   type. "char" doesn't have quite the right semantics to use as a transparent
   substitute for CHAR but we could define a CHAR(1) with exactly the right
   semantics and substitute it transparently in parser/analyze.c (btw having
   two files named analyze.c is pretty annoying). We could do the same with
   NUMERIC(a,b) for sufficiently small values of a and b with something like
   D'Arcy's CASH data type (which uses an integer internally).

Didn't we discuss a problem with using CHAR(n), specifically that the number of bytes required to store n characters is variable? I had suggested making an ascii1 type, ascii2 type, etc. Someone else seemed to be saying that should be called bytea1, bytea2, or perhaps with the parenthesis bytea(1), bytea(2). The point being that it is a fixed number of bytes.

   The problem with defining lots of data types is that the number of casts
   and cross-data-type comparisons grows quadratically as the number of data
   types grows. In theory we would save space by defining a CHAR(n) for
   whatever size n the user needs but I can't really see anything other than
   CHAR(1) being worthwhile. Similarly a 4-byte NUMERIC substitute like CASH
   (with full NUMERIC semantics though) and maybe a 2-byte and 8-byte
   substitute might be reasonable but anything else would be pointless.

Wouldn't a 4-byte numeric be a "float4" and an 8-byte numeric be a "float8". I'm not sure I see the difference. As for a 2-byte floating point number, I like the idea and will look for an ieee specification for how the bits are arranged, if any such ieee spec exists.

mark

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend