> Not being an expert, but to me it looks like the client_encoding being set to
> UTF8 but the data being sent is something other than UTF8. I've seen this
> happen on Linux when connecting with PuTTY from Windows (and then psql from
> the linux machine) and having the wrong encoding set in PuTTY. I'd double and
> triple-check the client-side stuff first ;-)

I have seen another strange occurrence of such errors... I'm using linux
with UTF8 client encoding, and psql gives me such errors:

dbval=# select 1;
ERROR:  column " 1" does not exist

The full story is that I typed 'ΓΌ' (u-umlaut if it won't render
correctly) and backspace before the '1'. I guess the backspace will
delete  byte-wise and will so fail to delete properly multi-byte
characters. I have no idea if this is a problem of psql or some other
problem, and it was not annoying enough to report it...

BTW, the space in " 1" is something I was not able to copy-paste from
the psql command line into the mail, so I'm pretty sure it's a byte code
which is invalid UTF8.

Cheers,
Csaba.