On Oct 31, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

"Henry B. Hotz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I notice that all the
authentication (pg_fe_sendauth()) is done inside PWConnectPoll(),
which sounds like something that isn't expected to block on network
access.

That's right.

Is this behavior important during startup?

You needn't bother to submit a patch that breaks it ;-).

In other words I can't do the easy thing.  OK.

But I don't
really see that it's such a big deal. You just need some state data to
keep track of what to do the next time you receive a message.  There's
no assumption anywhere that authentication only involves one message
exchange.

In a sense you're right. The API's are designed to support that. Means I need to some more cases to the huge switch statement inside PWConnectPoll() though.

I haven't looked at the corresponding logic on the server side, but
I'd assume that it forks before we get to this point so it doesn't
matter.

Correct, we don't need to worry about multitasking apps there.

                        regards, tom lane

[EMAIL PROTECTED], or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster