Nolan Cafferky wrote:

This may not inform the current conversation at all, but a while back I went on a cross-compiler compatibility binge for all of my active projects, and I found that some compilers (*cough* Borland *cough) had some very strange compiler/run time errors unless all variables were declared at the top of the function, before any other code gets executed. For better or for worse, I started strictly declaring all variables in this manner, with initialization happening afterward, and the behavior has stuck with me. I don't know whether any compilers used for postgres builds still have this issue - it's been a few years.

We expect the compiler to be C89 compliant at a minimum. If it rejects simple initialisation in the declarations or variables declared in an inner scope then it's hopeless for our purposes, surely. We have lots of such code.

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster