Robert Treat wrote:
While I don't disagree that this is an important feature, the fact that it is being designed with pgadmin specific backwards compatability (for example the functions that rename core functions) leaves me dubious as to it being a more general solution. Because of that I would be comfortable with acting on #3.

The rename happened because when one of the functions was moved into core, someone decided to rename it along the way which broke compatibility with previous versions of pgAdmin.

Whilst I won't in any way deny that the adminpack was specifically written for pgAdmin though, I have no problem with it being enhanced to provide non-core functionality for other admin tools in the future... in fact I would encourage it. I think it's better to support as many admin tools as possible from one contrib module, rather than for each tool to have it's own.

Regards Dave.

              http://archives.postgresql.org