Alvaro Herrera wrote:
This is how I think autovacuum should change with an eye towards being
able to run multiple vacuums simultaneously:

[snip details]

Does this raise some red flags?  It seems straightforward enough to me;
I'll submit a patch implementing this, so that scheduling will continue
to be as it is today.  Thus the scheduling discussions are being
deferred until they can be actually useful and implementable.

I can't really speak to the PostgreSQL signaling innards, but this sound logical to me. I think having the worker processes be children of the postmaster and having them be single-minded (or single-tasked) also makes a lot of sense.