Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ha ha... thx Tino
Yes, I think this is way to go, strange how my mind climbs the wrong tree sometimes :) I actually need to aquire a transaction across several dB's, check if the conditions are right, and then modify some tables, write and remove some triggers. Transactions in postgres are 2 sophisticated, I dont think they will hold the locks at the level I need them.

You want to read about explicit locking:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/explicit-locking.html

But I was thinking (climbing out of the wrong tree;)... I can just aquire exclusive locks on the tables, and hey presto, users are on hold while the software checks the dB's.

I'm sure, that's possible. However, I remember you were talking about replication, thus I have to add a warning: please keep in mind that this does not scale. You're most probably better using two phase commit, aren't you?

Regards

Markus

              http://archives.postgresql.org