On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Bruce Momjian wrote:

FYI, I added this to the patches queue because I think we decided
full-text indexing should be in the core.  If I am wrong, please let me
know.

One of the objections I remember to this particular implementation was
that configuration should be done using functions rather than new syntax
in gram.y.  This seems a good idea because it avoids bloating the
grammar, while still allowing dependency tracking, pg_dump support,
syscache support etc.

It's not so big addition to the gram.y, see a list of commands
http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/sql-commands.html.
SQL commands make FTS syntax clear and follow tradition to manage
system objects. From the user's side, I'd be very unhappy to configure
FTS, which can be very complex, using functions. All we want is to provide users clear syntax.

        Regards,
                Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83