Florian G. Pflug wrote:

BTW, this is a good case for why the storage order should - directly or
indirectly - be tweakable. You can either optimize for space, and _then_
for speed - which is what the OP did I think - or first for speed, and then for space. If the dba cannot choose the strategy, there will always be workloads where the engine does it the wrong way around.

Maybe a simple setting on ordering strategy would be OK. The chance of mucking it up if you can directly set the physical order seems just too great to me.

cheers

andrew