Bruce Momjian wrote:

Folks, how can we entertain ideas that would break SELECT * and
no-column-list INSERTs for a small performance boost?  If there was no
other way to get the performance boost, and the features was rarely
used, we might consider such a change, but neither is true in this case.

My point is that this proposal is so far away from our acceptable
criteria that I am worried about how people are analyzing proposals.

In Simon's defense, I think we need to feel free to brainstorm a bit, and propose things that might seem odd. There are plenty of cool heads around to shoot down bad ideas, but we'll only make progress by cherry-picking the good ideas. If one out of ten of my ideas is useful I think I'm doing really well.

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster