Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
How can you determine what tables can be vacuumed within autovacuum_naptime?

My assumption is that
pg_class.relpages * vacuum_cost_page_miss * vacuum_cost_delay = time to vacuum

This is of course not the reality, because the delay is not how long
it takes to fetch the pages.  But it lets us have a value with which we
can do something.  With the default values, vacuum_cost_delay=10,
vacuum_cost_page_miss=10, autovacuum_naptime=60s, we'll consider tables
of under 600 pages, 4800 kB (should we include indexes here in the
relpages count?  My guess is no).

I'm not sure how pg_class.relpages is maintained but what happens to a bloated table? For example, a 100 row table that is constantly updated and hasn't been vacuumed in a while (say the admin disabled autovacuum for a while), now that small 100 row table has 1000 pages in it most of which are just bloat, will we miss this table? Perhaps basing this on reltuples would be better?

A table over 600 pages does not sound like a good candidate for hot, so
this seems more or less reasonable to me.  On the other hand, maybe we
shouldn't tie this to the vacuum cost delay stuff.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to tie this to the vacuum cost delay settings either, so let me as you this, how is this better than just allowing the admin to set a new GUC variable like autovacuum_hot_table_size_threshold (or something shorter) which we can assign a decent default of say 8MB.

Thoughts?

      match