Hi Tom,

> Even granting that your conclusions are accurate, we are not
> in the business of optimizing Postgres for a single CPU architecture.

I think you're missing my/our point:

The Postgres shared buffer cache algorithm appears to have a bug.  When
there is a sequential scan the blocks are filling the entire shared
buffer cache.  This should be "fixed".

My proposal for a fix: ensure that when relations larger (much larger?)
than buffer cache are scanned, they are mapped to a single page in the
shared buffer cache.

- Luke