Tom,

On 3/5/07 8:53 AM, "Tom Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hm, that seems to blow the "it's an L2 cache effect" theory out of the
> water.  If it were a cache effect then there should be a performance
> cliff at the point where the cache size is exceeded.  I see no such
> cliff, in fact the middle part of the curve is darn near a straight
> line on a log scale ...

Here's that cliff you were looking for:

Size of Orders table: 7178MB
Blocksize: 8KB

Shared_buffers  Select Count    Vacuum
(KB)            (s)             (s)
=======================================
248             5.52            2.46
368             4.77            2.40
552             5.82            2.40
824             6.20            2.43
1232            5.60            3.59
1848            6.02            3.14
2768            5.53            4.56

All of these were run three times and the *lowest* time reported.  Also, the
behavior of "fast VACUUM after SELECT" begins abruptly at 1232KB of
shared_buffers.

These are Opterons with 2MB of L2 cache shared between two cores.

- Luke

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend