On Mar 6, 2007, at 12:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jim Nasby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
An idea I've been thinking about would be to have the bgwriter or
some other background process actually try and keep the free list
populated,

The bgwriter already tries to keep pages "just in front" of the clock
sweep pointer clean.

True, but that still means that each backend has to run the clock- sweep. AFAICT that's something that backends will serialize on (due to BufFreelistLock), so it would be best to make StrategyGetBuffer as fast as possible. It certainly seems like grabbing a buffer off the free list is going to be a lot faster than running the clock sweep. That's why I think it'd be better to have the bgwriter run the clock sweep and put enough buffers on the free list to try and keep up with demand.
--
Jim Nasby                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend