Is there a particular reason why CLUSTER isn't MVCC-safe? It seems to me that it would be trivial to fix, by using SnapshotAny instead of SnapshotNow, and not overwriting the xmin/xmax with the xid of the cluster command.

I feel that I must missing something, or someone would've already fixed it a long time ago...

Csaba, you mentioned recently (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00027.php) that you're actually using the MVCC-violation to clean up tables during a backup. Can you tell us a bit more about that? Would you be upset if we shut that backdoor?

In any case, the MVCC-violation needs to be documented. I'll send a doc patch to pgsql-patches shortly.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas