Gregory Stark wrote:
"Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com> writes:

Well the cost depends on where/how complex the extra fields are. If you're just
talking about adding columns usercol01..NN with different types and possibly a
lookup to a single client_attributes table, it's not difficult.

And then what? dynamically construct all your SQL queries? Sure, sounds like a simple solution to me...

No different to dynamically constructing a query for a report. Simpler, since in my experience most of these user-defined fields are just slots for extra codes/tags/notes rather than something you'd join on.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd