Simon,

You may know we've built something similar and have seen similar gains.
We're planning a modification that I think you should consider: when there
is a sequential scan of a table larger than the size of shared_buffers, we
are allowing the scan to write through the shared_buffers cache.

The hypothesis is that if a relation is of a size equal to or less than the
size of shared_buffers, it is "cacheable" and should use the standard LRU
approach to provide for reuse.

- Luke

On 3/12/07 3:08 AM, "Simon Riggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 09:14 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:21 +0900, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>
>>> With the default
>>> value of scan_recycle_buffers(=0), VACUUM seems to use all of buffers in
>>> pool,
>>> just like existing sequential scans. Is this intended?
>>
>> Yes, but its not very useful for testing to have done that. I'll do
>> another version within the hour that sets N=0 (only) back to current
>> behaviour for VACUUM.
>
> New test version enclosed, where scan_recycle_buffers = 0 doesn't change
> existing VACUUM behaviour.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend