Mike Rylander wrote:

A related question, however:  Will the XML features being included in
8.3 support namespace prefix registration?  If not, handling arbitrary
XML via XPath that includes unprefixed (default) namespaces (for me
that is the majority of the XML I deal with, and no, I can't change
that) will have exactly the same problems using the new mechanisms as
with the current xml2 contrib module.  I ask because, based on the
design emails I've seen on -hackers, nothing surrounding explicit
support for said issue jumped out at me.

If it won't you have 10 days to get in a patch.

cheers

andrew

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate