Tom Lane wrote:
"Simon Riggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
ISTM that the run-another-transaction-afterwards idea is the only one
that does everything I think we need. I really do wish we could put in a
wait, like CIC, but I just think it will break existing programs.

Actually, there's a showstopper objection to that: plain CREATE INDEX
has to be able to run within a larger transaction.  (To do otherwise
breaks "pg_dump --single-transaction", just for starters.)  This means
it can *not* commit partway through.

I believe the original idea was to invent some kind of "on commit run
this transaction" hook - similar to how files are deleted on commit,
I think. At least I understood the "Run another transaction on commit"
that way...

greetings, Florian Pflug

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq