Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Treat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I'm with Joshua on this one. Statement_timeout is often used as a means for protection from long running statements due to server load and locking and all of the above commands can certainly fall into that area. If people feel strongly that the command line programs need a way to circumvent it, add a --ignore-statement-timeout option or similar mechanism.

The worst-case scenario here is that your server fails and you discover
that all your backups are corrupt because you didn't notice pg_dump was
failing due to statement_timeout.  (Maybe it just recently started to
fail because your biggest table grew past the point at which the COPY
command exceeded statement_timeout.)

I'm not excited about the other ones but I can see the argument for
making pg_dump force the timeout to 0.

I guess my point is, if you are knowledgeable enough to actually set a statement_timeout, you are likely knowledgeable enough to know how to turn it off for programs like pg_dump.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

               http://archives.postgresql.org

             http://www.commandprompt.com/