Jim C. Nasby wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:28:18PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
I doubt that supporting a single multibyte character would be an
interesting extension --- if we wanted to do anything at all there, we'd
just generalize the delimiter to be an arbitrary string.  But it would
certainly slow down COPY by some amount, which is an area where you'll
get push-back for performance losses, so you'd need to make a convincing
use-case for it.

Couldn't we use a fast code path (what we have now) for the case when
the delimiter is a single byte? That would allow for multi-character
delimiters without penalizing those that don't use them.

As for use case, I worked on migrating some stuff out of a MySQL
database a while ago, and having arbitrary string delimiters would have
made life easier.

The first thing to note is that the COPY code is quite complex and fragile. Personally, I'd want a heck of a lot of convincing to see it changed, and your use case looks to me like it would be better handled by preprocessing using a perl script.

Also, if we accept string delimiters on input, we should also allow them on output.

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster