Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Any suggestions? pgdiagnostics?

Yes, I like "diagnostics", or "internals". I just think forensics isn't
going to be understood by the average native English speaker, let alone
non-English speakers.

"diagnostics" is a two-dollar word also.  It might be a bit more widely
known than "forensics", but it's longer and harder to spell.  Not that
I have any great suggestions to make.  Maybe "pgtestfuncs"?

I thought about pgdebugfuncs myself at first. But that's so generic and pgtestfuncs even more so. Diagnostics is pretty good, that word is in use in other languages as well as a medical term, so it's meaning would be clear to a lot of people even if they've never encountered the English word before.

Besides, the audience for these functions is quite narrow: people working on PostgreSQL internals, so I don't think the language issue matters that much.

I did not find "forensics" in translator and It mentions in Oxford vocabulary but explanation is not clear for me. I agree with Bruce It is not good name. What about short form of diagnostic "diag"?

Webster lists "scientific analysis of physical evidence (as from a crime scene)" as one meaning: http://www.webster.com/dictionary/forensics.

I'm going to go with pgdiagnostics. We could short it to just "pgdiag", but that feels too short :). We could make it "pgdiagfuncs", but that's not much shorter than pgdiagnostics.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster