Am Montag, 21. Mai 2007 07:04 schrieb Shachar Shemesh:
> In other words, if I offer a
> format that is assured of preserving both mantissa and exponent
> precision and range, as well as all extra attributes (+/-Infinity and
> NaN), but does not guarantee that the semantically identical constructs
> are told apart (+0 vs. -0, and the different NaNs), would that format be
> acceptable?

I don't think so.  We have fought many years to get closer to IEEE 754
conformance.  I don't think we want to throw that away without a good
reason.  "I want to use the binary format but I don't like what it does." is
not a good enough reason in my mind.  For one thing, I'd want to see some
performance measurements.

--
Peter Eisentraut

       match