Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
We *have* a log-writing process.  The problem is in getting the data to it.

Remember the imessages approach I'm using for Postgres-R? It passes messages around using shared memory and signals the receiver on incoming data. It's not perfect, sure, but it's a general solution to a common problem.

Maybe it's worth a thought, instead of fiddling with signals, special shmem areas and possible races every time the 'getting data to another process'-problem comes up?

Regards

Markus