On 6/13/07, Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not a fan either so perhaps I'm biased, but this seems like a good example
of where it would be an *awful* idea.

Once you have an XML plan what can you do with it? All you can do is parse it
into constituent bits and display it.

"...and display it" -- this, I suppose, covers the most frequent needs
(starting from displaying entire plans in some tools and finishing
with odd but useful examples like
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2005-08/msg00046.php).

You cant do any sort of comparison
between plans, aggregate results, search for plans matching constraints, etc.

Wrong.

How would I, with XML output, do something like:

SELECT distinct node.relation
  FROM plan_table
 WHERE node.expected_rows < node.actual_rows*2;

or

SELECT node.type, average(node.ms/node.cost)
  FROM plan_table
 GROUP BY node.type;

XPath can help here. Now almost every language has XML with XPath
support. That's the point, that's why XML is suitable here -- it
simplifies application development (in this specific case ;-) ).

--
Best regards,
Nikolay

      match