On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Chris Browne wrote:

I'm seeing some applications where it appears that there would be
value in introducing asynchronous messaging, ala "message queueing."
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_queue>

Me too.

My bias would be to have something that can basically run as a thin
set of stored procedures atop PostgreSQL :-).  It would be trivial to
extend that to support SOAP/XML-RPC, if desired.

It would be nice to achieve 'higher availability' by having queues
where you might replicate the contents (probably using the MQ system
itself ;-)) to other servers.

There tend to be varying semantics out there:

- Some queues may represent "subscriptions" where a whole bunch of
  listeners want to get all the messages;

- Sometimes you have the semantics where:
  - messages need to be delivered at least once
  - messages need to be delivered no more than once
  - messages need to be delivered exactly once

Is there any existing work out there on this?  Or should I maybe be
looking at prototyping something?

The skype tools have some sort of decent-looking publish/subscribe
thing, PgQ, then they layer their replication on top of. It's multi
consumer and producer, with "delivered at least once" semantics.

Looks nice.

Cheers,
  Steve