Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 03:24:51PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
There are valid reasons against 5m as mega-bytes, because here m does not refer to a unit, it refers to a quantifier (if that is a reasonable English word) of a unit. So it should really be 5mb.

log_rotation_age = 5m
log_rotation_size = 5mb

Except, of course, that "5mb" would be understood by those of us who
work in metric and use both bits and bytes as 5 millibits.

I at one point submitted a patch to make units case insensitive, I have since submitting that patch decided that was a horrible idea. Why can't we use standard units? Mb, Kb, KB, MB... (I don't know the standard unit for minutes).

The more I see this going back and forth it seems we should just do it right the first time and tell everyone else to read:

The fine manual
The spec(s) that define the units.

Joshua D. Drake

 Which
would be an absurd value, but since Postgres had support for time
travel once, who knows what other wonders the developers have come up
with ;-)  (I will note, though, that this B vs b problem really gets
up my nose, especially when I hear people who are ostensibly
designing networks talking about "gigabyte ethernet" cards.  I would
_like_ such a card, I confess, but to my knowledge the standard
hasn't gotten that far yet.)

Nevertheless, I think that Tom's original suggestion was at least a
HINT, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate