Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
I think offhand that the correct semantics of the flag are "we have
redirected our original stderr into a pipe for syslogger",

We could expose syslogger's redirection_done flag, which I think has the semantics you want.

Yeah, that would work.  You'd have to get rid of the current ad-hoc
method by which it is propagated to the syslogger child process
(EXEC_BACKEND case), because now it will have to be propagated to all
children; so postmaster.c should handle it in BackendParameters.

The problem with this as it stands is that the syslogger itself is forked before the redirection is done. I guess we need to make sure the syslogger itself never calls write_pipe_chunks() - which makes sense anyway - should probably call write_syslogger_file() directly, I think.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq