On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
OK, here is what I am thinking.  If we make default_text_search_config
super-user-only, then the user can't do SET (using "zero_damaged_pages"
as a superuser-only example):

        test=> set zero_damaged_pages = on;
        ERROR:  permission denied to set parameter "zero_damaged_pages"

        test=> alter user guest set zero_damaged_pages = on;
        ERROR:  permission denied to set parameter "zero_damaged_pages"

but the super-user can set it in postgresql.conf, or:

        test=# alter user guest set zero_damaged_pages = on;
        ALTER ROLE

or

        test=# alter database vendor3 set zero_damaged_pages = on;
        ALTER ROLE

meaning while it will be super-user-only, the administrator can set the
default for specific databases and users.  Is that the best approach?

A user can still over-ride the default by specifying the configuration
in the function call.

This is ok, but it will not work in hosting environment and still
doesn't prevent errors.

Agreed.  super-user-only now seems strange to me because it isn't a
security issue, but rather an attempt to avoid people causing errors.

The fundamental issue is that if you do a query using tsvector and
tsquery everything will work find because default_text_search_config
will be the same for both queries.  The problem is if do an expression
index lookup that doesn't specify the configuration name and your
default_text_search_config doesn't match the index, or you INSERT or
UPDATE into an expression index with a mismatched
default_text_search_config.

If we do make default_text_search_config super-user-only it prevents a
database owner from doing ALTER DATABASE db1 SET
default_text_search_config = 'english', which seems like a pretty big
limitation because I think per-database default_text_search_config makes
the most sense.

And, again, if you specify the configuration in the expression index you
have to specify it in the WHERE clause and then
default_text_search_config is pretty useless.

agree. Notice, this is very limited usage case.

If we required the configuration to always be specified, you could still
store multiple configurations in the same column by having a secondary
column hold the configuration name:

I don't understand this. Let's don't discuss indexes at all, since indexes
doesn't know about configuratons at all

        CREATE INDEX i on x USING gist (to_tsvector(config_col, body));

        Regards,
                Oleg
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend