Bertram Scharpf wrote:

All I wanted to do is to float an idea by presenting a piece
of code that does what I mean instead of describing what it
should do if I considered right.

But that's exactly what I was making a point about. If you want to get something included in PostgreSQL (and that's what the -hackers list is about, after all) then writing code first is the wrong way to go about it. You need to discuss the idea and implementation before you write a single line of code, or you run the risk that it will be pretty much rejected out of hand. If you had perused the mailing list archives you would have found that thjis subject has come up before, and as Tom Lane told you we are really only interested in the SQL standard way of doing this.

In addition, presenting a piece of code that has not a single comment is not likely to advance your cause at all.

You say you read the Developers FAQ, but you clearly ignored this entry: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html#item1.4

 In fact the most aspects
intruded when I wrote it, not when I wrote about it.

I don't understand this sentence.

 Sorry
for any inconvenience.

There's no inconvenience (except possibly to you). I wouldn't have replied at all except that you didn't seem to understand why people didn't embrace your code with unalloyed enthusiasm and joy.

cheers

andrew