Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
The problem here is that "log" seems to be a verb in "log_collector"
which is what makes it confusing.  So we need another verb to make it
clear that "log" is not one.  This is not a problem with "autovacuum"
because that one cannot be confused with a verb.

start_log_collector still gets my vote.
I vote against. Remember that some people look at the GUCs in alpha order from pg_settings. As such, if we're changing GUC names it ought to be in a way that groups logically if we can.

Should we change the ordering of pg_settings?

Yeah, this is not a good reason for deciding a naming issue.

If we really want thematic collection of GUC vars then we should arrange for some sort of hierarchical naming, and appropriate sectioning of the config file.

cheers

andrew