Magnus Hagander wrote:
David Boreham wrote:
To add my 2d worth to this: after working on a few very large
projects that built on both Unix and Windows my preference is
to use a single autotools-based build for both, with a script called cccl
that translates cc-style arguments for Microsoft's cl compiler/linker
tool chain (plus Cygwin for the command line utilities, gmake etc).
We have a locally-enhanced version of cccl that's a bit
more capable than the latest public version, I seem to remember.

But that still requires you to have a full set of "unix style
commandline tools" on your windows box in order to build, no? And if it
doesn't generate project files and such, it won't be usable in Visual
Studio, just the commandline compiler...
Correct on both counts, and for me neither is a problem. I can't imagine using
a Windows box for software development without Unix tools installed, and
I've never found building huge pieces of software using an IDE to be a useful
thing to do. As I said, just my 2d worth...

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate