Josh Berkus wrote:
Greg,

Are you suggesting to add an additional piece of work to the already
behind schedule 8.3 timeline when there's already this idea floating
around to overhaul the entire contrib structure in 8.4, which may very
well make much of that work redundant?  Albert's work is cool and all, but
from from back here where I sit I'd expect anyone in a position to
integrate it into 8.3 properly should be working on something that's
already on the to-do list instead.

Or the contrib overhaul may *not* get into 8.4 (ala updatable views). Having the contrib stuff in the main docs would remove one of the largest barriers to people knowing about the contrib features.

I don't agree with Greg that we shouldn't make this docs improvement. I do think we should do it in such a way that it will fit with our plans for the future.

cheers

andrew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq