Tom Lane wrote:
"Florian G. Pflug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
+1 on the first, but -1 on the second, because we'd have to track
whether deleted files are temp or not ... it's very unclear that it'd
be worth the trouble.

I'm confused. smgrcreate already tracks if it created a file for a temp
relation or not (at least it has an isTemp parameter, which it also
stores in the delete list).

Doh, I was thinking it did not track that --- serves me right for not
checking the code before opining.

So should we not force synchronous commit if all to-be-deleted files
are temporary? Or is that pushing our luck too much, because it opens
the window of possible file leakage considerably wider?

I don't have a strong preference - it seems to be low-hanging fruit
performance-wise - but then, maybe that fruit should be left hanging
until a time where we have some way of removing unreferenced files...

Thoughts, anyone?

No, because the way you know the name is good is a successful
open(O_CREAT).

The idea was to log *twice*. Once the we're about to create a file, and
the second time that we succeeded. That way, the filename shows up in the
log, even if we crash immediatly after physically creating the file, which
gives recovery at least a chance to clean up the mess.

Hmm.  Seems like a lot of work for something that's not a large problem.
Anyway, I'd counsel not thinking about that for now, but keep the patch
focused on solving one problem.

Don't worry, I won't be doing anything like that in this patch ;-) But since
my work on the patch made me thing about these things, I thought I'd share
my ideas...

greetings, Florian Pflug