Tom Lane wrote:
"Florian G. Pflug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
So it seems that only SET LOCAL within a function with per-function
GUC settings is at issue.  I think that there is a pretty strong
use-case for saying that if you have a per-function setting of a
particular variable foo, then any "SET LOCAL foo" within the function
ought to vanish at function end --- for instance a function could want
to try a few different search_path settings and automatically revert to
the caller's setting on exit.
Agreed.

> The question is what about SET LOCAL
on a variable that *hasn't* been explicitly SET by the function
definition.  Either approach we take with it could be surprising,
but probably having it revert at function end is more surprising...

At least for me, the least surprising behaviour would be to
revert it too. Than the rule becomes "a function is always
executed in a pseudo-subtransaction that affects only GUCs"

Since at least for pl/pgsql, a function body *alreay* is a
BEGIN/END block - and therefore syntactically even looks
like a subtransaction - this seems quite logical.

And it would mean that the semantics of "SET LOCAL" won't change,
just because you add an EXCEPTION clause to the function's toplevel
BEGIN/END block.

greetings, Florian Pflug