On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

In about 200 benchmark test runs, I don't feel like we ever came up with a
set of bgwriter settings we'd happily recommend to others.  SO it's hard
for me to tell whether this is true or not.

Are you talking about 200 runs with 8.2.4 or 8.3? If you've collected a bunch of 8.3 data, that's something I haven't been able to do; if what you're saying is that you never found settings with 8.2.4 that you'd recommend, that's consistant with what I was saying.

Can you send me the current version of the patch, plus some bgwriter
settings to try with it, so we can throw it on some of the Sun benchmarks?

Am in the middle of wrapping this up today, will send out a patch for everyone to try shortly. Tests are done, patch is done for now, just writing the results up and making my tests reproducible. I had some unexpected inspiration the other day that dragged things out, but with useful improvements.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate