Hi

When reading Tom's comment about the bug in my "use latestCompletedXid to slightly speed up TransactionIdIsInProgress" patch, I remembered that I recently stumbled across GCC builtins for atomic test-and-test and
read/write reordering barriers...

Has anyone looked into those? It seems that those could be used to provide a fallback spinlock implementation - though maybe we already cover all interesting targets, and it's not worth the effort.

Anyway, here is the link to the GCC docu. It says that the naming of these follows some Intel Spec, so presumably the Intel compiler supports the same builtins...
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.0/gcc/Atomic-Builtins.html

greetings, Florian Pflug

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate