It seems like there isn't any good reason the perl scripts for the MSVC
build don't support readline

Readline for windows is available as part of the GnuWin32 project.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/readline.htm

It normally installs to "c:\Program Files\GnuWin32"

I'd update the scripts myself, but I'm not a PERL programmer.

>From what I can see, you'd add another line to config.pl for readline,
and then add some stuff to  mkvcbuild.pm for psql  to do something like:

if ($solution->{options}->{readline})

    {

$psql->AddIncludeDir($solution->{options}->{readline} . '\include');

$psql->AddLibrary($solution->{options}->{readline} .
'\lib\readline.lib');

$psql->AddLibrary($solution->{options}->{readline} .
'\lib\history.lib');

}

And something to solution.pm in the part that builds pg_config.h that
looks something like:

if ($self->{options}->{readline})

                                {

                                                print O "#define
HAVE_LIBREADLINE 1\n";

                                                print O "#define
HAVE_READLINE_READLINE_H 1\n";

                                                print O "#define
HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY_H 1\n";

                                                print O "#define
USE_READLINE 1\n";

                                                print O "#define
USE_READLINE_STATIC 1\n";

                                }

(Not sure about the last line).

I don't know if this is a good idea, but I would think this would make
psql more "user-friendly" on windows.

Perhaps someone who understands readline and perl better than me might
want to take this on?